Monday, July 5, 2010

John Bikerson III Memorial Post



I sold my bike yesterday. For 45 euros, to a very nice Dutchman named Jens, at a 4th of July BBQ.

I'd put up the ads earlier in the day, and I already had a woman coming to see it that evening, so I was resigned to parting with Bikey that very day. Jens offered me my asking price in cash. I'm pinching pennies right now, I have a two-week European vacation to fund, and to me right now 45 euros is a considerable sum. In 3 days I'm going to Austria for 4 days (during which it would have been right difficult to sell my bike), and I'll have only 4 very busy days left in Berlin after that. Public transit in this city is very excellent and I can get everywhere I need to go reasonably quickly. Speaking rationally, I made the right call at the right time, and I won't face many practical troubles in my bikelessness.

All that said: this was a hard thing to do and I'm pretty sad today. I had a wonderful weekend full of friends and sunshine and non-stop bike rides, I watched some very good soccer games where all the right teams won, I met new people and had a very excellent ex-pat 4th of July, and here I am all torn up on Monday morning. There was a thunderstorm in the night, first rain in weeks--I slept fitfully and now have an absolutely monstrous crick in my neck. The sun is shining and I have so much to do.

He was a good bike and now he's gone. I guess coulda thrown him in the river or something but I'm happy I had it in myself to pass him on. Let's all learn a lesson about letting go, okay? Let's do that.

I'm getting sadder and sadder as I write this. I'll blog some more soon. I have many fine pictures and stories to tell. For now I will apply sunscreen, start my day and put that bike out of my mind. I'll be on foot for a couple weeks now, I can listen to my iPod again, read on the subway. Maybe I'll get a haircut. Take care, everyone.

5 comments:

  1. awww, bike-bike. fare thee well! at least you know jens will take good care of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bikey, you were a good bike.
    Be good to Jens, and keep your tires inflated for him. They were good times, Bikey.
    Roll on through the streets of Berlin,
    and remember the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ma and mayah: thankee kindly fer the sympathy

    heh i guess nobody found the easter eggs or else they are not mentioning them out of respect for the departed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I really wanted to see a bigger picture of that stone elephant and all I got was this AWESOME POEM

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOOD JOB CAMERON GOLD STAR ON YER FOREHEAD

    ReplyDelete