Friday, July 16, 2010

Good Bye For Now

Hello again, friends and family. It is 12:22 and I wanna to be up by 6 to be at the airport in a timely manner, and I still need to shower off my night sweat (Current Berlin temp is 82 degrees American). Thus, I will keep this little farewell post as short and sweet as possible.

Tomorrow I fly to London, where I will meet my mother and sister and spend three days in town. We'll be staying with my uncle Pat and aunt Jemima and cute little cousins Flora and Callum. After that we take a train to Amsterdam, stay there for a couple of days, then roll over to Berlin for a week in the Hauptstadt. I fly home (Berlin-->MPLS) on August 31st.

Between packing all of my belongings and cleaning the heck out of my room I tried to write some kind of farewell post. It came out as a little poem. Sorry if that's not your scene. Just skip the words and look extra hard at the pictures.


Berlin you were lovely
But better with a bike

Berlin I grew a beard in you
It is a pretty good beard, Berlin

Berlin your mannequins have nipples
You’re strange in unexpected ways, Berlin

Berlin you’re not too fat and not too thin
But you’re getting there, and sometimes you stink

Berlin I’ve had it up to here with your
Punk kids, stroller-dads, and happy couples
Berlin get out of my way

Berlin thank you for your trees, pretty girls
And dogs, Berlin you smell like cigarettes

Berlin I like you best when late at night
And early morning overlap, the glow
Out east dispels the stars, the upright types
Are long-since horizontal and the creeps
Have crept between their common lover’s sheets

Berlin I’m awake, I can’t sleep with you
Around. When I’m alone with you, with you
And no one else, just your architecture
And I, your empty trains on time and full
Of ghosts and dream-thoughts,
I breathe in the night

Berlin are you even listening, I—

Berlin I know I don’t matter to you
Berlin you know that isn't all that bad


That's all for a couple of weeks, probably. I still have some photos to dump, and who knows, I may have the juice to keep this blog up when I'm back in Brainerd. For now: Thank you all for reading this blog. I went through some rough patches here in Germany and it was awful nice to have someone to talk to.

I'll be back within spittin' distance very soon. We should, uh, we should hang out. Call me. (Same number, same hood.)

3 comments:

  1. dear max,

    i am v pleased to see that your arrival date is july 31-august 1. you may be glad to know that i will indeed be in brainerd that weekend, working for the man. sooooo, i will see you then! c/m when you get stateside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You actually have an Aunt Jemima? That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pammy: i am indeed glad to hear that you will be in brainerd. the man is not a very good boss but he pays well. will call you up.

    jason: yeah we had pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast yesterday, it was quite smashing.

    ReplyDelete