Thursday, March 25, 2010

Postcard Policy Announcement

Hello everyone! I have a few very odd photos and a very important announcement for you all. First, because it is important, the announcement:

As you may recall from my first post, my original postcard policy was "I'll send you one if you send me one," with a special exception for grandmothers. This policy has proven to be both pretty presumptuous, as I have yet to get a thing from any of you beautiful people, and unrealisitc in light of my own fondness for purchasing, writing, and mailing postcards.

So, the new postcard policy is as follows: send me your address and I will send you a postcard. You can email me your address, leave it in the comments, shout it to the east wind, whatever. I would still really like to get physical news from and about you special individuals, of course--also updates on such American topics as baseball and black beans and wasting water--but I suppose as I am the one on an adventure in the interesting tourist destination I can bear the majority of the postcard burden.

Speaking of adventures: I have next week off, so I am taking a trip to Hamburg between Monday and Wednesday! I bought my train tickets and made my hostel reservation today--a bit less than 200 Euros all told, so not bad for such short notice. I still need to do some research, but as I understand it, Hamburg is a working-class harbor town. While not as vast as Berlin, it's still a major city with it's own incredibly rich history and local culture, and it ought to be a little more down-to-earth and thoroughly German than the Hauptstadt. I am looking forward to water, and the Star Club, and cheap beer in harbor bars.

On to the Photos:

I seem to take a lot of pictures of advertisements, but that's only because they are so crazy. This one is for some kind of orange-n-chili-flavored energy sausage. The text reads "Tired? Eat sausage!"

Burger King is stupid popular here. It is kind of upscale, which is bizarre--same crappy food, but relatively much more expensive. I suppose they are just capitalizing on the popularity of the American brand. These Mountain Burgers are definitely very American. After many debates in many train stations I still think I would go with the Rocky Cheese: despite it's tooth-chipping name, it is the only one of the trio that features an entire patty of fried cheese.
Lotsa cranes at sunset. I swear sometimes it seems like as soon as they finish a building they start taking it apart again.

The Grande Finale: I was out walking with my buddy Nate the other day when we happened upon this art gallery that featured all kinds of porcelain pugs.So great.

7 comments:

  1. Love the pugs! Do they sell postcards?
    And let's hear a peaches christ superstar report please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. god those burgers look so much more delicious than anything bk has here. And energy sausage is a terrifying concept.

    If you have provided an address for us to send things to in any obvious place, I have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and i lost desi's address but i will get it to you soon once she gives me it again

    ReplyDelete
  4. maya: turns out i reserved a ticket for the show tonight, and also i may not have reserved a ticket at all. current plan is just to go to the venue before showtime and demand a ticket at the will-call window. Also:
    1509 Hearst
    Berkeley, CA XXXXX?

    sam: my berlin address is in the ABOUT ME box constantly hovering on the upper right side of this blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah that's a sensible place for it

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah heads up i think mkuehn is mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to go postcard hunting this week. KEEP WRITING, MAXY MY BOY.

    ReplyDelete