Monday, March 1, 2010

It Is A New Blog!

Hello friends and family—it is I, Max, coming to you live from Beautiful Europe, except I’m actually on an airplane, and of course I’m not really live because there ain’t no wireless internet on airplanes.

Anyways: Welcome to Unterwegs, the blog for people who want to know what Max is doing in Berlin! I’m going to Berlin, by the way, to study for 5 or so months. I’ll be back in the States in late July, but until then I will be relatively tricky to contact. Numerous people told me they wanted to “keep in touch,” and I’d say at least half of them meant it, and that’s still way too many emails to send out. A blog should be economic (as it is completely free) and interactive (as you can comment on posts if you feel like it) and fun (as I can post photos and stories and you can look at them and read them, respectively), and besides, I’m always looking for an excuse to start another blog.

Postcard policy: if you send me a postcard, I’ll send you one back. Unless if you are my grandmother—then I will send you a postcard free of charge.

Speaking of grandmothers…
Content policy: my grandmothers are (I hope) going to be reading this blog. Therefore I will be omitting the more disgusting turns of phrase and youthful, rambunctious vulgarities that typically pepper my online prose. (I will also write things like “pepper my prose.”) I ask you all to please do the same in comments. (i.e. Be decent and respectful, not write things like “pepper my prose.”) If you have a really hilarious cuss that you just have to share with me, you can always email it.

Here is a picture of me. Sorry I am so scruffy—it is tough to find time to shave on the road, and my stubble waits for no man. I’ll scrape it off in London, I promise!
sorry i look so grouchy this was the only one that came out in focus

This little television tells me I am four hours out of London and 10, 670 meters off the ground, but it also tells me that the external temperature is -82 C, and our current course seems to have us headed towards the middle of the Sahara Desert rather than jolly old En-gland, so I really don’t know what to think about this little television. Some visionary employee has managed to get around the Boring, Crappy In-Flight Movies Only policy and sneak The Blues Brothers in between The Blind Side and All About Steve, so if you’ll excuse me I need to go watch it for the thousandth time.

That’s all for now! Pictures of London to come!
P.S.: Unterwegs is German for “on the way” or “in transit.” It is also the German title of On the Road.

Rejected blog names:
German Blog
BLAG
Five Star Soul Food Restaurant
Girls I Like
What Max Is Doing In Germany
Teakettle Junction
Ü

P.P.S.: This blog still needs a motto. I’m hoping to find something in Berlin.

Rejected blog mottos:
Be Nice
Trying Real Hard To Be The Shepherd
Swords Are No More Use Here
See You In The Funny Papers

7 comments:

  1. I assume your phone is not with you in Germany? You are going to have so many text messages to read when you get back.

    You should post some shit in German so I can practice, not too much though cuz I am not very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video thermometer on my flight to tokyo was wildly inaccurate as well, I assume the union in charge of maintenance on those things is a real hardass or something

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Max,

    Your dad sent us the link...very cool! Have fun, and enjoy your time there...we'll look forward to seeing your updates...let us know where to send you a post card...Alana would think it very cool to get a post card from Germany...

    BTW - the trees in Trafalgar Square are Plane Trees, or as we here in the states call them...Sycamores...

    Peace,
    Voot & Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey dude, i am a friend of patricks living in leipzig...get the email from uncle pat... u r 1 hour away....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam: I have a temporary germany-only phone. I think maybe the thermometer was accurate and it is just very very cold outside at 35,000 feet.

    Rhonda: Very happy to have you reading! Thank you for the tree information. The first round of postcards goes out to grandmothers tomorrow, will work on round two this week.
    My address (which i should probably put up on the page somewhere):
    Max Kuehn
    c/o IES Abroad Berlin
    Johannisstraße 6
    10117 Berlin
    Germany

    Lawrence: awesome. we should get in touch--give me a heads up if you'll have time to kill in berlin, and i'll let you know if I'm coming to leipzig.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is definitely not 100 degrees F below zero

    ReplyDelete